The Arizona English Language Arts Standards
The Arizona English Language Arts Standards define the knowledge, understanding, and skills that need to be effectively taught and learned for all students to be ready to succeed in credit-bearing, college-entry courses, in the workplace, and/or in military service. The standards present a vision of what it means to be a literate person in the twenty-first century.
Grade-specific K-12 standards in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, and Language translate the broad aims of The Arizona English Language Arts Anchor Standards into age- and attainment-appropriate terms. These standards allow for an integrated approach to literacy to help guide instruction.
What the Arizona English Language Arts Standards Are
The Arizona English Language Arts Standards are the foundation to guide the construction and evaluation of English Language Arts programs in Arizona K-12 schools and the broader Arizona community.
The Arizona English Language Arts Standards are:
- Focused in a coherent progression across grades K-12,
- Aligned with college and workforce expectations,
- Inclusive of rigorous content and applications of knowledge through higher-level thinking,
- Research and evidence based,
- Broad in nature, allowing for the widest possible range of student learning, and
- Designed as an integrated approach to literacy.